Scooter rider left fighting for his life thanks air medic

A SCOOTER rider left fighting for his life after a crash near Middlesbrough has thanked the air ambulance paramedic involved in his rescue.

A SCOOTER rider left fighting for his life after a crash near Middlesbrough has thanked the air ambulance paramedic involved in his rescue.   

Brian Loughran, 46, of Stockton-on-Tees, was riding his Lambretta scooter in heavy traffic on the A178 Tees Road, between the Seal Sands roundabout and Port Clarence, when a car made a U-turn and collided with his bike, dragging him underneath the vehicle, on June 30.  

The Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS), fire brigade, police and ambulance all rushed to the scene of the incident. After he was rescued from under the car, GNAAS anaesthetised Mr Loughran and gave him a blood transfusion in an attempt to save his life. GNAAS is one of only a few air ambulances in the country to be carrying blood having introduced the service in January.

He was then transferred to the Major Trauma Centre at James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough by road ambulance.

The father-of-two said: “I’ve spoken to some people who were there and they’ve told me they thought I was dead, that I was a goner. I was unconscious most of the time but I woke up briefly while I was under the car and I felt like I was getting burnt from the exhaust. Then I went again. The last thing I can remember is seeing the car pull out in front of me and I knew I couldn’t do anything. Then I woke up in intensive care days later.”

Mr Loughran, an electrician, had suffered a smashed sternum, collapsed lung, a lacerated liver, fractured vertebrae and broken ribs. He spent seven days on ventilation in intensive care and two weeks in hospital.

Now he has made a visit to the GNAAS’ Durham Tees Valley Airport base along with his wife Catherine Loughran and their sons, Billy, 9, and Jamie, 4, to thank the paramedic on board the aircraft, Colin Clark, on November 26.

Mrs Loughran said: “My husband and father of our two young old boys is alive. Words cannot express how grateful we are. We wanted to say thank you for their wonderful work.

“Doctors have been very impressed with Brian’s determination. It’s going to be a long road to full recovery but we will get there. When he moved to the trauma unit we watched the air ambulance come in many times.”

Mr Loughran has always supported GNAAS having taken part in local fundraising events and playing their weekly lottery before the charity was called to his aid.

He said: “You never think you’re going to need it but I have always thought it was a worthy cause to support because it helps people in real trouble.

 “It has been a fantastic opportunity to thank those involved in saving my life. At one point, it was touch and go but I am still here and it’s down to everyone there that day.”

Mr Clark, who has worked at the charity for 10 years, said: “Blood on board makes a huge difference. Catastrophic blood loss due to serious injuries and accidents kills around 50 people in our region every year. The quicker patients like Brian receive blood transfusions following their injury, the better their chance of survival.”

“It’s been great to see Brian again and looking so fit and healthy. It was a pleasure to meet his family too.”

Translate ยป