Weekend round-up: May 14/15

There was plenty of work to do this weekend, sadly.

There was plenty of work to do this weekend, sadly. Here is a summary of some of the missions flown by the Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS):

On Saturday, at 1pm, we were called to Hexham where a 53-year-old female motorcyclist had collided with a car. She had sustained leg injuries but her overall condition was not as bad as first feared and after checks she was transported to the Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI) in Newcastle by the North East Ambulance Service (NEAS). Her condition was described as non-life threatening.

At 3.30pm, we were called to Steel Rigg (pictured) near Haltwhistle, where a 28-year-old Sunderland man had sustained life-threatening head injuries after falling while climbing. He was put in an induced coma by the GNAAS doctor-led trauma team, working alongside NEAS paramedics, the Hazardous Area Response Team and Northumbria Mountain Rescue Team. The patient was then flown to the RVI. The flight took 15 minutes and the patient was stable on arrival.

At 12.20pm yesterday, we were called to Malton where a 44-year-old woman had suffered multiple injuries after being thrown from a horse. The incident left her with neck and back injuries, though they were not thought life-threatening. She was flown from scene to James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough. The flight took 18 minutes and the patient was stable on arrival.

At 12.30pm yesterday, our Cumbrian crew were called to Gilgarran, near Workington, where a 28-year-old male motorcyclist was injured while riding in a motocross event. The Alston man had suffered chest injuries. He was treated by event medics before the Pride of Cumbria arrived. After treatment by the GNAAS trauma team, the man was flown to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle for further treatment. The flight took 12 minutes and the man was stable on arrival.

At 4pm, a call came in from Redgate, near Wolsingham, where a 20-year-old Sunderland man had come off his motorcycle. He had sustained multiple serious injuries and after treatment on scene was flown to the RVI. The flight took 11 minutes and he was stable on arrival.

Translate ยป