Teenager involved in serious crash thanks doctor for saving her life

A TEENAGER involved in a tragic car collision has been reunited with the doctor from the Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS) who saved her life.

Ellis Marr, 18, was travelling from Millom to Gosforth with her friends Skye Mitchell and Caitlin Huddleston when their vehicle collided with a van on the A595 road, near Bootle on July 14 2017.

Miss Mitchell and Miss Huddleston were pronounced dead at the scene, while Ellis was treated for critical injuries by North West Ambulance Service paramedics and the GNAAS doctor-led trauma team before being airlifted by the charity to Royal Preston Hospital.

Ellis broke the right side of her pelvis, had a lower right leg compound fracture, a broken tibia, fibula and lower back sacrum bone. She also had bruised ribs, and a bleed on the brain.

Ellis’ uncle Louis Cummings said: “I don’t think I’ve ever seen as many machines hooked up to somebody. It was frightening but she’s still here and that’s testament to everybody around her and herself for being so stubborn.”

Ellis stayed in hospital for more than four months and was discharged on November 22 to continue her recovery at home.

She said: “I’m getting on alright now but obviously I still have the effects of it, like the emotional and physical side of it. I’m getting physio three times a week, and occupational therapy and going to the gym. I’m doing as much as I can to try and get back to normal.”

Ellis and her family recently visited the GNAAS base at Langwathby and met Dr Andy Barrington who treated Ellis on the day of the incident.

Dr Barrington said: “Knowing how badly injured Ellis was, we honestly weren’t expecting her to survive, so to see her walking around at our base is amazing. She has come so far from where she was to where she is now and I hope to she continues to progress well with her recovery.”

Ellis said: “GNAAS are a vital service and I’m so grateful to the crew who treated me. It was really nice to see Andy and put a face to the person who saved my life. I can’t thank them enough.”

Last year Ellis achieved the A Level results she needed to secure a Higher Apprenticeship at Sellafield Ltd. This has been deferred until September, and it is hoped that Ellis will have progressed enough by then to be able to take up the apprenticeship offer.

Since the incident, a team of cyclists from south and west Cumbria, including Mr Cummings, travelled 135 miles on a round trip to Penrith from Millom, and raised more than £12,000 for GNAAS who are funded entirely by public donations.

Last year GNAAS responded to over 1000 call-outs and needed to raise £5.1m. To find out how you can help, please visit www.gnaas.com or call 01768-899150.

Translate »