Nerys back for more after horror crash

A cyclist who was seriously injured during a Coast to Coast (C2C) ride is back in the saddle as she prepares to revisit the challenge two years after her accident.

Nerys Whiley, 38, from Woolhampton in Berkshire, suffered a crushed vertebra, a broken collar bone and two broken ribs after the tyre on the bike she was riding burst, causing her to fall 20ft into a river at Whinlatter Pass.

Later this month, Miss Whiley will return to the north to finish what she started in aid of the Great North Air Ambulance Service, which flew her to the Royal Preston Hospital for treatment following the incident.

It will mark the end of a long road to recovery for Miss Whiley, who has had to undergo various operations, including having a plate inserted into her collar bone in March of last year, and a kidney removal in April. But worse was to come as the scan threw up an unexpected result.

She said: “Following the CT scan at Preston Hospital, I had to have a follow up appointment last April as lumps were found in my kidney which were cancerous and needed to be removed.

“If it wasn’t for the accident, I would never have known about that. I owe that radiographer everything. Everything happens for a reason.”

Nerys, is now ready to tackle the challenge again, and hopes to complete the full 140-mile cycle route from Whitehaven to Tyneside on 25-27th May to raise funds for the charity that came to her aid.

Miss Whiley, who works as a merchandiser for a fancy dress manufacturer, said: “I wanted to finish what I had started. That’s just me – I wouldn’t leave anything half done, well quarter done in my case. I have been building my fitness back up with running and cycling. I’ve managed 45 miles so far.”

Nerys is not competing the challenge alone, instead three cyclists from the original squad in 2016 will be alongside her, hailing from the north and south of the country.

If you would like to donate to the cause you can do so by visiting:

Translate »