Family of cyclist seriously injured in crash tackling half marathons for GNAAS

“I still say to my wife, I can’t get my head around what happened. I just think, wow these people kept me alive.”

Alison Rogerson and her daughters are tackling half marathons, including the Great North Run, to raise funds for the Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS) after our critical care team came to the aid of Alison’s husband Peter Rogerson, 66, who fell from his push bike in Eskdalemuir, Dumfries and Galloway.

Peter, from Lochmaben, said: “I normally do 45 miles and it takes me about three hours. I was halfway into my ride and was going downhill and as I went round a corner my bike toppled over and I came off.”

Despite the incident happening on a rural road, thankfully a car passed by a few minutes later and the driver phoned 999.

Peter said: “I was very lucky. I was cycling on a quiet road, and while normally that would be great for a cyclist, you never think about what if you need people to come and help you.”

The Scottish Ambulance Service requested the help of our critical care team and flew from their base in Langwathby, Penrith to the scene of the incident in 20 minutes.

Peter’s wife Alison said: “The amazing team were first on scene following the 999 call from the people that found him. Their quick treatment and care ultimately increased his chance of survival.”

Peter was airlifted to Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary where they found he had a broken collarbone, 10 broken ribs, including multiple fractures which caused a flail chest, a fractured pelvis, and a broken finger.

Alison said: “Peter had injured his left side, but his head was fine and there was no injury to it. His helmet was split in two and ultimately saved his skull and brain.”

He was then transferred to Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow and underwent an eight-hour operation to fit metalwork.

Peter said: “I cannot recall anything about what happened, and when I woke up in hospital, I believed I’d completed my bike ride.”

At the time of the incident, which was on 11 December 2023, Peter was wearing a GPS watch which was linked to his phone, and this confirmed the route he had taken that day, including the journey in the air ambulance and subsequently a land ambulance when he was transferred to a different hospital.

He eventually came home on 27 December using a walking stick and is currently undergoing physiotherapy to help with his recovery.

Prior to the incident Peter was fit and well and would regularly cycle up to 100 miles in a day.

He was also a fell runner and has completed the Bob Graham Round in 24 hours, which is a 66-mile route including 42 of the highest peaks in the Lake District.

Peter said: “I’ve had falls on my bike before and usually dust myself down and go home. I’ve broken my collarbone on the other side, but nothing like this before.”

He has previously completed the Fred Whitton Challenge with his friend Rory Longmore, but this year Rory will be doing it on his own to raise money for GNAAS.

Peter’s wife and two daughters have also decided to raise money for GNAAS by running half marathons.

Alison will be taking part in the Great North Run in September with her daughter Fiona, 35, and also doing the Glasgow Half Marathon in October with her daughter Sarah, 33.

Peter added: “I still say to my wife, I can’t get my head around what happened. I just think, wow these people kept me alive.”

Translate »